Happy International Lefthanders day! Here are some interesting facts for you lefties!
- Lefties seem to be overrepresented among geniuses. According to research done at Lawrence University in New York, there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. Considering that Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin were all lefties, it is hard to disagree with history.
- Barack Obama, James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Henry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton were/are all lefties.
- The majority of the world is made up of people who are right-handed, so meeting someone who is left-handed (also known as a “lefty”) is somewhat rare. In fact, only 12% of the world’s population is left-handed, and the majority of that 12% is made up of men.
- There are nearly 325-million people living in the United States, and about 30-million of them are left-handed.
- The word “dexterity” shows a right-handed bias. The term dextermeans “right” and refers to being “right-handed” on both sides.
- The word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken. The German for “left-handed” is linkisch, which means awkward, clumsy, and maladroit. In Italian, the word is mancino, which is derived from “crooked” or “maimed.” In heraldry, the left side is referred to as sinister.
- Left Handed Pens are a thing! Who knew!?
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
- On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.