CLEVELAND (News Talk 1480 WHBC) – Following Sunday’s incident at Progressive Field where a three year old boy sitting on the first base line was struck by a foul ball, the Cleveland Indians have released a statement giving an update on the child’s progress.
The team says the boy, whose named Henry, was released from the hospital on Sunday evening and is showing no signs of major injury. The club provided no further statement on if they intend to extend the protective netting further down the foul lines.
While the organization has yet to weigh in on the netting situation, Indian’s all-star shortstop Francisco Lindor gave his thoughts on the issue following Sunday’s victory against Kansas City.
“I know it’s all about the fans’ experience to interact with the players,” said Lindor. “I completely get that. You want to have that interaction with the players, getting autographs and stuff. But at the end of the day, we want to make sure everybody comes out of the game healthy. We’ve got to do something about it.”
The Chicago White Sox became the first team in Major League baseball to extend the netting completely down the foul line earlier this season. Other teams such as the Pittsburgh Pirates have had front office executives express their organization’s intentions to do the same prior to the start of the 2020 season.