SATURDAY UPDATE: City of Canton, Refuge of Hope Open Warming Centers for Weekend
CANTON, Ohio (News Talk 1480 WHBC) – Even though temperatures will not be nearly as cold, the overnight warming center at the Edward Peel Coleman Center on Sherrick Road SE in Canton will be open again Saturday tonight, starting at 6 p.m.
Same plan for Sunday night.
The Refuge of Hope on 2nd Street NE is open from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday for a quick warmup.
And SARTA offers free bus service to the Coleman Center from the Cornerstone Transit Center downtown aboard the 110 bus.
Here’s the press release from the city:
CANTON, Ohio – The City of Canton, in participation with Refuge of Hope, will be offering warming centers
for those in need beginning tonight, Friday, January 21 through Monday, January 24 at 8:00 am at the below
listed locations and during the hours listed. SARTA will offer transportation and the American Red Cross will
provide cots and blankets. COVID 19 precautions must be honored, such as masks, social distancing and
hand sanitizing. Canton Police and Fire will assist in manning the locations and checking on citizens who are
outside in the cold weather. Citizens needing assistance may call 911. This is available to Canton residents.
The Edward “Peel” Coleman Community Center, (formerly known as the South East Community Center),
located at 1400 Sherrick Rd SE, Canton, OH 44707 (330-489-3350). Guests must enter through the WEST
door. Masks are required and available on site if needed. Cots and blankets will be available. Hours of
• Friday, January 21 from 6:00 pm through Saturday, January 22 at 8:00 am
• Saturday, January 22 from 6:00 pm through Sunday, January 23 at 8:00 am
• Sunday, January 23 from 6:00 pm through Monday, January 24 at 8:00 am
Refuge of Hope, located at 715 Second St NE, Canton, OH 44704 (330-453-1785). Guests must enter
through door #3. Masks are required and available on site if needed. Hot beverages and food will be
available. Hours of operation:
• Friday, January 21 from Noon to 6:00 pm (No overnight stay)
• Saturday, January 22 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (No overnight stay)
• Monday, January 24 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (No overnight stay)
SARTA will provide transportation:
• Those who need transportation to a warming center may access SARTA from any regular stop to the
Cornerstone Transit Center on Chery Avenue SE. Once at the Cornerstone Transit center, utilize
route #110 for transportation to the Coleman Community Center. Please let the bus driver know you
are in route to the warming center and there will be no fee.
• Return transportation will be provided from the Coleman Community Center to Cornerstone Transit
Center on Cherry Ave SE free of charge by utilizing route #110.